Today's guest is a highly accomplished, respected executive with 30-plus years of experience leading high-level sales efforts. John Chapman is the Founder of JL Chapman Group, and Director of the East Carolina University Sales Academy. On this week’s episode, John sits down with host Joe Frost to share his sales tips, tell new sales reps what they need to expect when starting their first job, and share some of the lessons he taught to sales students at the Bryan School of Business and Economics.
- Your sales team is more than just a revenue stream, they also need to be strategic and problem-solving.
- Sales is an important skill set to learn in college. For any given major, 50% of first jobs out of college involve sales, for marketing students, that number is 90%.
- Selling is all about cultivating relationships. You need to listen and learn about your customers’ problems before trying to sell them something.
- While prospecting was previously a responsibility of the sales team, prospecting is now the marketing department's responsibility. The sales team now has a higher focus on the need to qualify the prospects.
- Don’t be afraid to lose fast. If a prospect isn’t the right fit, don’t spend valuable time trying to force a sale, spend that time on a new client.
- Entrepreneurs need sales ability. If you want investors to take an interest in your product or service, you need to be able to sell them on it.
- With the increase of zoom in the workplace, sales reps have more tools available to them than ever before. However, the key to successful sales still lies in the fundamentals of building relationships.
Quote of the Show:
“Don't be afraid to lose fast.” - John Chapman
Ways to Tune In
- Amazon Music - https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/9a0b6e7b-76d7-4909-ab01-e3082d6637e0/the-fractional-c-suite-retreat
- Apple Podcast - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-fractional-c-suite-retreat/id1597847745
- Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/5Z2uHcI4xXz92M9sODSoYL?si=a89b68adf7134964
- Google Podcast - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZnJhY3Rpb25hbGNzdWl0ZXJldHJlYXQuY29tL2ZlZWQueG1s
- Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/agencies-that-build/the-fractional-csuite-retreat
- YouTube - https://youtu.be/SNXRqRc1P44
Fractional C-Suite Retreat is produced by Ringmaster, on a mission to create connections through B2B podcasts. Learn more at https://ringmaster.com/